Monday, January 31, 2011

eating healthier

I have decided I want my family to start eating lighter, healthier foods. I don't like the feeling when I eat too much or just really heavy foods. My 2 youngest love veggies so going that route should not be an issue. The oldest is not a fan so much of anything but sweets. Convincing her will take some trickery. I follow tons of blogs and one that I follow is Kraftfoods.com. Last week they posted a blog on zucchini "fries" with lemon aioli as a healthy foods idea. They looked awesome so I knew I had to try them.

There are only 4 ingredients. Zucchini, chicken flavored shake n bake, egg and parmesan cheese.

Cut your zucchini up into "fries". The smaller ones tasted better so cut on the thin side.








Before you put the "fries" in the egg wash go ahead and get your breading mix together. Open up one pouch of shake n bake and put in the bag provided. Add to it approximately 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. I think we added more but if you aren't a fan just add less.





Next put your "fries" in the egg wash and then into the shake n bake bag. It is recommended that you do this multiple times. Be very careful that the "fries" are not too moist. By the third time the shake n bake would not stick to the zucchini.




Overall the family really enjoyed these. They are best right out of the oven and thin. I think next time I will put the zucchini in salt water and see if that helps with moisture because getting the shake n bake to stick was frustrating. We made a simple remoulade sauce to dip them in so we didn't make the lemon aioli but if you want the recipe you can get it here



No comments: